Woodland Park Citizens Academy
LEARN | ENGAGE | MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Have YOU ever wondered...
- How does Woodland Park's government work?
- What do City Councilmembers do?
- Where does our water come from? How does it get here? And where does it go?!
- How is the City budget created?
- How does police dispatching work?
- Who fixes the potholes? When do my streets get plowed?
- What can I do to get involved?
At Woodland Park Citizens Academy, you'll get answers to all of those questions...and more!
What is the Citizens Academy?
The Citizens Academy is open to anyone in Woodland Park interested in learning about our city! The minimum age of enrollment is 16 years of age. Applicants must be able to attend all sessions. Please do not apply if you have already attended the Citizens Academy in previous years.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2024 WINTER CITIZENS ACADEMY WILL OPEN ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2023.
The Citizens Academy is a twice-yearly program. The winter 2024 Citizens Academy begins on Monday, January 29, 2023, at City Hall, City Council Chambers.
|Local Government 101||Monday, January 29||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Budget, Finance & Communications||Monday, February 5||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Wastewater*||Monday, February 12||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Water*||Monday, February 19||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Planning, Zoning & Building||Monday, February 26||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Parks & Recreation*||Monday, March 4||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Public Works||Monday, March 11||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Police Department*||Monday, March 11||5:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Graduation Ceremony||Thursday, March 21||6:30 pm|
*indicates the session includes a tour of a City facility.
- Each Citizens Academy session has been designed to provide a solid learning opportunity within the allotted timeframe. All sessions will begin and end on time.
- Because of the limited number of slots available for participants, attendance at all sessions is required, unless extenuating circumstances arise. Should something come up, please call or email Kristen Higginbotham before the session to inform us.
- Please wear athletic or flat footwear to all tours. Your safety is important to us! Wearing athletic or flat footwear is appropriate for touring City facilities. Sessions that include a tour are marked with an asterisk * on the chart above.
- Please be respectful of other participants’ time by arriving on time.
- Participants will be expected to take a short survey after Graduation to provide helpful feedback for future students.
- We expect all participants to engage with each other respectfully at all times.
- Because of the wealth of information provided throughout the Academy, it will be imperative that we all stay on task. Your assistance in helping to keep the sessions focused is much appreciated. Have fun, and enjoy this experience!
THANK YOU TO OUR 2023 CITIZENS ACADEMY SPONSORS:
If you are interested in supporting the Woodland Park Winter 2024 Citizens Academy through in-kind donations or sponsorships for refreshments, please reach out to Kristen Higginbotham for information. Your generosity and support can make a significant impact on the success of the Citizens Academy. Thank you!